If SMSC is at the heart of your ethos you will be encouraging all to think about the kind of people we aspire to be, the kind of world we aspire to create, and the kind of overall learning journey we aspire to provide. SMSC is for everyone, schools, families, the workplace.
SMSC allows us to be reflective about our own beliefs and perspective on life, It gives us the knowledge of, and respect for, different people’s faiths, feelings and values. We can develop a sense of enjoyment and fascination in learning about others and the world around us and be encouraged to use imagaination and creativity in our learning and cultivate a willingness to reflect on our experiences.
Global Collaborations help us understand and appreciate the wide range of cultural influences that have shaped our own heritage and that of others.
Effective and meaningful SMSC utilises a range of social skills in different contexts, for example working and socialising with others from different religious, ethnic an socio-economic backgrounds. It can develop an interest in investigating and offering reasoned views about moral and ethical issues and the ability to understand and appreciate the viewpoints of others on these issues.
The benefits of SMSC
The benefits of meaningful SMSC for all young people include this not exhaustive list…
- Develop useful ‘soft employability skills’ – self-knowledge, self-esteem, self-confidence, team working, communication, problem-solving and adaptability
- Distinguish right from wrong and understand and respect the law
- Develop a broad general knowledge of public institutions and services
- Be well-informed about options and challenges faced
- Develop a positive response to artistic, sporting and cultural opportunities
- Develop into responsible citizens who can show initiative and make a positive contribution to their local community and wider society
- Explore and develop their creativity and imagination and become successful, curious and resilient life-long learners who enjoy learning
- Lead safe, healthy and fulfilling lives
- Reflect on beliefs and values and acquire an appreciation of, and respect for, our diverse British culture, and other cultures around the world in a way that promotes tolerance and harmony, and safeguards against the risk of developing extreme or radical views
Access my on-line platform for downloadable resources, information about on-line courses and my e-book. Click here